Interested in joining us? Link to our Visitor's Center.
Lanie brought us prayers and scriptures about light: very appropriate! Her gathering questions were about Daylight Savings Time -- our reactions, and those of our animal companions. There were challenges of technology resetting clocks and bad attitudes.
In real time, thunderstorms and tornadoes swept from Kaye's neighborhood in Mississippi to Rita's in Alabama on to the Atlanta area.
Yr. D, 1st yr: Michael, Mason; 2nd yr: Lanie; 3rd yr: Joyce, Susan; 4th yr, Jessica, Rita; 5th yr "Wide Angle," Kaye. Mentor: Scott. Absent: None.
"Respond" Question #2: Imagine you are a reporter assigned to write an article about your Engage assignment this week. What would your headline be? What would be the lead? Whose profile would you include as a feature story?
- VISITORS REPORT INTENSE LIGHT FROM MYSTIC SERAPHIM.
- EVOLUTIONIST DARWIN SHAKING YOUR BELIEF?
- LOCAL CRAZY MAN PREDICTS DOOM, GOES TO JAIL. Jeremiah reversed centuries of prophecy and said to surrender to Babylonian army.
- PAUL OF TARSUS LAYS GROUND RULES FOR NEW FAITH.
- "I SEE BONES" SAYS NATURALIST DARWIN.
- "THEY'VE DONE IT NOW!" PROPHET PREDICTS DISASTER FOR BREAKING OF COVENANT. Exclusive interview with sidekick Baruch.
- DOES THE BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER PROMOTE MYSTICISM? Russian Mystic Gregory raises questions.
- SAFE SPACE NECESSARY SAYS ANGLICAN NUN.
We also discussed "safe spaces" in the materials and in our lives. We heard of "safe space" as a top goal for children's Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. Reclusive mystic provided safe space for visitors. Jeremiah says there's no "safe place" from Yahweh's rule... except maybe Jeremiah found appreciation in Babylon? ...Paul's prison stay must've been comfortable because it allowed him visitors and opportunity to compose his longest most thought-out letter...... Julian of Norwich found safety and love in spite of illness and difficulties in her world.
Our safe places: Singing in choir... home -- visitors there won't be judged... "Safe Space" program at KSU and sticker on the door to be a haven for LGBTQ+ students... "I am safe within myself" ...kneeling at church.
A mind-map spread out in several directions from the word "passion." We found energy in a cluster of words stretching from southwest on the map to the northeast: art, color, music, harmony, memories all related to passion.
Looking for a single image, we took a minute to imagine ourselves at the moment just before the first dab of paint, the first note, the first step onstage. That moment in its fullness (Creation) carries with it all the disciplined preparation, proper posture and deep breath, eyes open, excitement, anticipation. What creeps in also (Sin) is getting in your own head, analyzing too much, fear of failure, lack of confidence. You know it (Judgment) when you feel those butterflies in the stomach, when you think, "Wait! Do I know (my first line... the right note... the right place on the canvas)?" Redemption comes in just doing it -- "Sometimes you just have to start" and you can make it right as you go. Besides, there's forgiveness in an eraser, in another sheet of paper, in an audience allowing you to start over (ex. LION KING snafu).
While we did connect this to Scripture (Peter takes a step onto the water) and to Culture (Caesar crosses the Rubicon), our connections to this went sideways to a surprising connection: BAPTISM. There's a hymn for it: "No turning back!" We imagined Baptism as a moment when WE become a fresh new creation. I guess that makes GOD the artist. Like us, he does not know how it will turn out -- the art has a life of its own, we observed.
We used chat for an application of this TR to our lives: "I think... so I will...":
- I think I am on the right path so I will with God's help try to stay on it.
- I won't let fear keep from experiencing something new. So i will trust in the Lord and just do it.
- I think our discussion of baptism is a reminder that through the sacrament of baptism we are all made new, so during this Lenten season I will remember to trust in God's will who makes all things possible.
- I think I've not taken the time to be creative/ explore my own creativity lately... So I will seek a project to EXPRESS my creativity.
- I think I should be more focused on the study of spiritual things. So, I will make time to do so.
- I think our Christian journey is a beautiful, personal process (art), so I will try not to let overthinking, perfectionism, or anxiety guide my faith.
- I know I'm a new creation in Christ, so I will be more intentional about being what God intends me to be.
Jessica will lead worship. Michael will tell us which "respond" questions to think about before we meet. Kaye will bring kindling for a TR and will lead it in a tag team with Scott. Think who else would like to lead a TR? Everyone read for week 24, and remember to do 20 pages in Kidd -- and think whom you might invite to participate in our discussion of Kidd in week 26.

No comments:
Post a Comment